Nama: Atama Rena Perdana
Definition of inquiry letter is a letter written in purpose of finding and securing a fund for work project. A well-written letter of inquiry can be crucial to securing funding for your project. because Many foundations now prefer that funding requests be submitted first in letter format instead of a full proposal.
An effective letter of inquiry is often more difficult to write than a full proposal. The letter of inquiry should be brief no more than three pages and must be a succinct but thorough presentation of the need or problem you have identified, the proposed solution, and your organization's qualifications for implementing that solution.
The letter of inquiry should be addressed to the appropriate contact person at a foundation or to its CEO and should be sent by regular mail. To make a good enquiry letter, the writer must ensure that the following section is included in his/her enquiry letter:
- The introduction serves as the executive summary for the letter of inquiry and includes the name of your organization, the amount needed or requested, and a description of the project. The qualifications of project staff, a brief description of evaluative methodology, and a timetable are also included here.
- The organization description should be concise and focus on the ability of your organization to meet the stated need. Provide a very brief history and description of your current programs while demonstrating a direct connection between what is currently being done and what you wish to accomplish with the requested funding. You will flesh this section out in greater detail if you are invited to submit a full proposal.
- The statement of need must convince the reader that there is an important need that can be met by your project. The statement of need includes: a description of the target population and geographical area, appropriate statistical data in abbreviated form, and several concrete examples.
- The methodology should be appropriate to your statement of need and present a clear, logical, and achievable solution to the stated need. Describe the project briefly, including major activities, names and titles of key project staff, and your desired objectives. As with the organization description, this will be presented in far greater detail in a full proposal.
- Other funding sources being approached for support of this project should be listed in a brief sentence or paragraph.
- The final summary restates the intent of the project, affirms your readiness to answer further questions, and thanks the potential funder for its consideration. Note: Attachments should be included only at the direction of the potential funder and should be specific to its application guidelines
Example Inquiry Letter:
20 October 2009
Jane Smith, Executive Director
555 S. Smith St.
Washington, D.C. 22222
Dear Ms. Smith,
When we attended the International Electronics Trade Fair in London last month, we visited your stand and saw a very interesting demonstration of your automatic high-security garage doors. The ability to drive straight in and out of your garage from the comfort of your car, as well as your emphasis on theft protection appealed to us. We believe that there is a ready market for this in the United States.
Our company is a wholly owned subsidiary of the international Zetax Corporation, well-known in the security and theft prevention industry.
Would you please send us your current sales literature and price list? Of course, we will be glad to provide the usual credit and trade reverences if we decide to order from your company.
Otherwise known as an order letter, a letter of order is a document that confirms the details of a purchase of goods or services from one party to another. It usually includes more information about what you are ordering, like quantity, model number, or color, the payment terms, and the matter in which the products are to be shipped. When the recipient receives this letter, they will process the order and send the merchandise.
Example Order Letter:
PT. CIPTA PERSADA
Jl. Cendana Raya NO. 8
Your ref : MP / DC / 55
Our ref : AM / L / 3A
16th October, 2009
Mr. Niccolo Machiavelli
PT. Maju Tunggal Electronics
Jln. Raya Merdeka No. 21
Dear Mr. Niccolo:
Subject: Purchase Order No. 25
Thank you for your letter of 12nd October, enclosing your catalogue, price list, terms of payment and terms of delivery. We shall pay for the goods by banker’s transfer on receipt of your pro-forma invoice and request delivery within two weeks (don’t forget to tell the transport method).
Send to our ware house address .